Am I Allowed To Be Saved, Single, and Sexy?

mod·es·ty: behavior, manner, or appearance intended to avoid impropriety or indecency.

I have a feeling some people won’t agree with me about this subject and I’m totally ok with it lol. Before you try to stone me hear me out. I am young, I like to look nice, and in the words of the old folk, I am “shapely” lol. Being a lady who stands at 5’11” without heels and who is on the “blessed” side I understand everything is not for me. Things that women who are 5’5” can wear I cannot get away with. There are certain cuts I have to stay away from, certain fabrics that are not flattering, and styles that I only rock in my dreams lol. Before we get all the way into this, I AM NOT IN ANY FORM OR FASHION SHAMING MEAGAN GOOD! I am using her as a point of reference. In the same sense, I am not painting Ayesha Curry as a perfect angel who can do no wrong.

On December 5, 2015, Ayesha Curry, Wife of NBA MVP Steph Curry, sent a tweet that almost broke the internet. It read, “Everyone’s into barely wearing clothes these days huh? Not my style. I like to keep the good stuff covered up for the one who matters”. You would have thought this 27-year-old, mother of 2, cursed everybody out and called them ugly. The people went CRAZY! She was accused of slut shaming and being judgmental. However, there was also a remnant who stood with Ayesha in agreement, so much so that “Ayesha Curry” became an adjective and a standard of the type of woman that should be sought after. “You better get you an Ayesha Curry” lol. The hype has died down a bit, as it always does, and then we find something else to talk about.

Let’s fast forward to February 2016, a video surfaces of DeVon Franklin and Meagan Good, married couple and co-authors of “The Wait”. Just in case you have been living under a rock, “The Wait” is a book that promotes celibacy/purity before marriage (Good read). The video shows the two during an interview with Toure Roberts (Son-in-law of Bishop T.D. Jakes) in which a lady from the audience stands to comment about the way Good dresses. *PAUSE* I did not agree with the woman’s timing, the place in which she did it, or her delivery butttttt I can’t say I didn’t agree with her overall message. KEEP THE STONES TO YOURSELF…this is my blog bahahahha. I won’t get into the whole dialogue but the video can be found on YouTube. In the midst of the debate, DeVon Franklin comes to his wife’s rescue and let’s everybody know that she will wear what she wants to wear in the name of Jesus. Wait, huh? And the people went OFFFF…” that’s right you better defend your woman”. Hold on, what? Listen, I’m all for defending your spouse but there is a way to do it without contradicting the gospel that you preach.

The same people who were celebrating with Ayesha about keeping the good stuff covered up are now in agreement about Meagan wearing what she wants to in the name of Jesus. Confusing, much? Him coming to her defense was not my issue, what he said is what left me puzzled.

My point is, as SAVED women we should present ourselves in such a way that is respectable. Modesty is not the opposite of fashionable. Modesty is not dressing like an old lady. Modesty is not 100% dress code. Modesty is an attitude. Is your mouth saying “wait” but your clothes screaming, GO!? Let me hit these three points so you can continue with your day.


1)    Just because it comes in your size does not mean you should wear it. While I’m on this point, LEGGINGS ARE NOT PANTS! Some people are about to click the X and stop reading lol. But seriously, as believers we have to raise the standard. I have sisters in the faith who are flawless, fashionable, and HOLY. One of them being Lady Porshia Jackson (she has a new clothing line coming out), she is the epitome of class, modesty, and fashion. With that being said: You are a billboard, what are you promoting?

2) You cannot be saved, single, and sexy. What do you mean I can’t be sexy? I said you can’t be saved, single, and sexy. If you are married, you better be sexy for your husband. Ohhh but sister child if you don’t have a ring on it, you don’t need to bring sexy back. Let me explain…the word sexy means to arouse sexually, to stimulate, or to excite. If I am single and saved, my desire should not be to arouse my BROTHER in Christ. You know he’s your brother right? Lol I know I’m messing with some of your theology but we have to be careful the message we send out. If when you look in the mirror and say to yourself, “I’m about to turn some heads today” you are already in the wrong.

Side note: There are people who deal with lust. You can wear a potato sack to your ankles and they will still feel some type of way. I don’t want anyone to feel like I’m saying you have 
to wear a bag over your head, but what I am saying is to be mindful of all things.

3) You can’t judge me! Ugggggghhhhhhhhh if I hear this one more time I might scream lol. We all have that person who lives by the statement, “Don’t judge me” …. or you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. In reality, we expect the inner content of a thing to be represented by what it is encased in...ok, that was a lot. If I go to Wal-Mart and buy apple juice (because that’s what the jug says) when I pour the juice in the glass, I expect to taste apples…why? Because that is what was presented to me. So if you dress like a thot (sorry churchy people) then that’s what a man will expect of you and in turn how he will treat you. People expect your presentation (outside) to match your declaration (who you say you are).

Let me go while I still have people who like me lol. Thank you guys for the support. I want to hear your opinion! Comment below or email me at coachjaleesa@gmail.com. Use subject: Keep it Covered. See you next week


Coach Jaleesa


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

He Cheated...I Stayed!

Confessions of A Side Chick

Single and Satisfied?